Tanner's Crossing Planning District

Tanner’s Crossing Planning District

Tanner’s Crossing Planning District (TCPD) is made up of the Town of Minnedosa and the Rural Municipality of Minto-Odanah. TCPD is governed by a five member Board of Directors, consisting of three representatives from the Town of Minnedosa, and two members from R.M. of Minto-Odanah. The Planning District, as it is commonly called, currently has two employees, one of whom acts as a development officer and building inspector, and the other provides administrative support. The Planning District Board adopts policy, which is implemented by its staff.

The Planning District regulates all building in the town and municipality and is responsible for building inspections, fire safety inspections, permits (building, move-in, development, plumbing, demolition, etc.), planning (conditional uses, variation orders, rezoning, development plan amendments) and zoning memorandum.

Zoning By-laws

Please note that a number of Amendments have been made to the Zoning By-laws for the Town of Minnedosa and the R.M. of Minto-Odanah. Be sure to check with Tanner’s Crossing Planning District before beginning any project.

Building Permits

A building permit is required in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public. A permit is required for new construction, additions, alterations, renovations, relocation, demolitions and repairs.  All farm buildings, except residences and garages, do not require a building permit but must have a development permit. Click on the following links for more information on Permits and related Fees or to download the Building permit Application.

Permit Steps

  • Call Adam to find out what zoning regulations are in place for your area.
  • Sketch out your site plan showing where the building is going to be placed on your property.
  • Bring your site plan and engineered drawings of the actual building to be constructed to Tanner’s Crossing Planning District and apply for a permit; a fee payment is required.
  • If all requirements are met, a permit will be issued.
  • Inform Adam as to when construction is to start (prior to the pouring of concrete).
  • Inspections are made when asked for by the builder at stages predetermined by the inspector. (Approaches & Driveways are under municipal jurisdiction; contact your councillor.)


Failure to Obtain Permit

Where a permit is required and where a permit has not been obtained prior to the commencement of the actual work, the fees shall be double the normal rate upon first notice of failure. Should negligence to obtain a permit result in prosecution, a restitution fee of up to $1,000.00 shall be imposed.

Permit Refund

Whenever a permit is surrendered for cancellation within six months of obtaining the permit, a refund of the fees paid shall be made after deducting $70.00 plus any inspection fees.

Fire and Safety inspection

$100 –  Town of Minnedosa Fire & Safety Inspection Resolution (see Below)

Thinking About Building or Renovating?

Tanner’s Crossing Planning District has prepared a series of pamphlets to assist you with your next project.

Click on any of the Project Pamphlets folder below to read the information you need.

Planning to Subdivide?

Subdivision applications are handled through the Province of Manitoba, Community & Regional Planning. Information on the subdivision process and an application form can be found on their website: http://www.gov.mb.ca/ia/land_use_dev/sra.html

Contact Information

For more information on your proposed building project, please contact:

Adam Kowal  - Development Officer/Building Official  

Phone: (204) 867-2364

Cell: (204) 868-5973

Drop by

2nd Floor of the Civic Centre

103 Main Street South (side door on south side)

Office Hours

Monday to Friday (except holidays)

from 8:30 to 12:00 and 1:00 to 4:30


Tanner’s Crossing Planning District

Box 1072

Minnedosa, MB R0J 1E0

Email: tcpd@mymts.net

Fax: (204) 867-5543