General Information

Below is information on the following topics:

  • Dust Control
  • Custom Work
  • Crop Burning
  • Requested Burns
  • Weed Control
  • Property Ownership Maps
  • Lottery Licenses
  • Manitoba Health Cards

Dust Control

The Municipality does not provide dust control on Municipal Roads. Residents however are free to contact local suppliers and purchase the product themselves, and the RM would provide surface preparation for these individuals.

Ratepayers who live on Provincial Roads in the RM, are able to receive dust control through the Highways Department. Please contact the Department of Transportation at (204) 726-6800, for more information.

Custom Work

If you require custom work in the form of snow clearing or road grading, please contact either workshop at 865-2408 (Clanwilliam) or 867-5157 (Cordova) and leave a message of what you would like done along with your name and property description.

Please note that our municipal roads are priority and custom work will only be done only if time permits. In the event of a snow storm, Provincial roads are plowed first, followed by School bus routes, all other municipal roads and then lanes will be cleared according to the messages left on the answering machine. Ratepayers have 30 days to pay, in the event the account stays outstanding for 90 days, the amount will be added to taxes.

** Rates are set by Council Resolution and are subject to change. Please contact the municipal office for current costs.

Crop Burning

Manitoba’s controlled burning program allows any individual to burn crop residue (this includes straw, stubble, or chaff from any crop, including baled or stacked crop material and the remains of any unharvested crop), as long as common sense is used. Manitoba Agriculture regulates which day our municipality is allowed to burn and between what hours. You must contact them directly via a toll-free number (1-800-265-1233).

If burning is authorized, only burn within the hours specified, ensure fires are supervised at all times, ensure the area has been adequately fire guarded to prevent spread of fire, and ensure smoke will not create unreasonable hazard to people’s health or highway safety.

Requested Burns

The Municipality has an agreement with the Town of Minnedosa to provide fire coverage for the area. With this yearly fee, the municipality is entitled to receive a number of hours for controlled burns in the RM each year. If you have property that you would like burned, please submit a letter to council providing the location of the item (section/township/range), a description of the item, (old house/barn/scrub) the purpose for the burn, (clean up property/hazard) and your name. Council will select the two burns based on certain criteria first, to ease danger, remove assessment, training exercises, if none of these purposes exists the burns will be chosen on a first come first serve basis.

Weed Control

Each municipality is required by provincial statutes or municipal by-laws to enforce the control of noxious and restricted weeds within their boundaries. Our public works employees are licensed herbicide applicators and in charge of controlling weeds on municipal property or road allowances. Landowners are required to control their own weed population.

Ownership Maps

Ownership maps are available at the office for $20.00/each (black & white) or $30.00/each (colored).   Updates are done annually. If you are a resident of the R.M. and would like your name removed from the map, a letter requesting the removal must be submitted to the office. However, all information in our office is open to the public and buyers of the map are still able to look up the landowners name from the tax assessment roll.

Lottery Licenses

If you are planning a draw, raffle, bingo, sports draft, Texas hold’em tournament or any type of lottery which involves a cost to enter or play and a prize of cash or an article of value will be awarded, you need a license.

An application form must be completed (available at the R.M. office), a fee of $1.00 must be paid, then a license can be issued.

For any lottery that has a gross revenue of over $5,000.00, you must contact the Manitoba Gaming Control Commission (1-800-782-0363) and obtain a license from them. The MGCC also requires an application form be completed, but requires 4 to 6 weeks to process and charges a fee of 1.5% of the actual gross revenue.

Manitoba Health Cards

Manitoba Health issues a card (or registration certificate) to all Manitoba residents, which includes a 9-digit lifetime identification number for each family member. The white paper card has purple and red print, and includes the previous 6-digit family or single person’s registration number, name and address of Manitoba resident, family member’s given name and alternate (if applicable), sex, birth date, effective date of coverage, and 9-digit Personal Health Identification Number (PHIN).

Registration certificates issued by the Insured Benefits Branch confirm eligibility, provided you continue to live in Manitoba. Carry your certificate with you at all times and present it whenever you or your dependents require health services.

Your registration is affected by any change in location or family status. Please report a new address, a marriage, birth, adoption, death, divorce or legal separation to the Insured Benefits Branch.

Registration certificates entitle persons named on the certificate to health benefits. It is an offense under The Health Services Insurance Act to allow a person to use the certificate whose name is not recorded on the certificate.

If you lose your certificate, be sure to write or telephone the Insured Benefits Branch for a replacement.

To be eligible for Manitoba Health coverage you must:
  • Be a Canadian citizen or have Immigration status as outlined in the Health Services Insurance Act
  • Establish a permanent residence in Manitoba, and
  • Reside (physically) in Manitoba six months in a calendar year

The following are not eligible for coverage:
  • Tourists
  • Transients
  • Visitors
  • students other than Manitoba residents
  • Students temporarily absent from other countries or other provinces and territories in Canada to attend educational institutions in Manitoba are not eligible for registration with the Manitoba Health Plan

If you are eligible (i.e., legally entitled to be in Canada and live in Manitoba for at least 183 days of the year), coverage will begin on the first day of the third month after your arrival in Manitoba. For example, if you arrive on April 29, April will count as the first month, with May and June as the following two. Therefore, in this case your coverage would begin July 1.

For more information on Manitoba Health, visit there website at

The R.M. of Minto-Odanah office has the form which needs to be filled out to register for a Health card, which requires your Social Insurance Number, previous health card, birth certificate and/or driver’s license. Until your health coverage begins you should maintain your coverage with your previous health plan.